Rotary Club of Broadlands
Service Above Self

Fire and Rescue Service receives Generous Donation from Rotary Clubs

P1120443

Thanks to the generosity of Rotary and the people of Norfolk, an £11,500 cheque was handed over to Norfolk’s Chief Fire Officer, Nigel Williams at the Norfolk Fire and Rescue Services HQ in Hethersett on Tuesday, 2nd June 2015.

The cheque was presented by 22 Rotary Clubs in Norfolk, which included the Broadlands Club, who have been working with members of the Fire and Rescue Service to fund a project which aims to help supply and fit smoke alarms to the vulnerable within our community. 

As well as supporting major humanitarian aid projects, Broadlands Rotary Club is mindful of its own local community needs such as supporting schools, youth projects and helping the elderly, disabled and disadvantaged. 

The money has been raised through various fundraising activities and has been match-funded through the Rotary District 1080 Foundation. 

The Rotary Club scheme will operate in such a way that the money raised by the local branches means it will then be used within those locations to the benefit of residents living there. 

Last year 181 people died in home fires in the UK and more than 10 times that number were taken to hospital as a result of domestic fires. President of the Broadlands Club Richard Mayer said that we needed to continue to ensure that none of the more vulnerable members of our society lose their life due to the lack of a smoke alarm. “We seek to make a positive difference within our
communities and I’m really pleased we’ve been able to raise this money for the Fire and Rescue Service and ultimately the more vulnerable members of society.” 

Working smoke alarms can give people the wake-up call they need to escape. The Fire Angel Thermoptek ST-620 which will be used is the model recommended and fitted by the majority of UK
fire services. It has a sealed lithium power pack which will power the alarm for 10 years so gone are the days when homeowners installed alarms and then forgot to replace batteries.